BL&CO property management is a comprehensive service which is available 24 hours a day, every single day of the year. Our dedicated management line is constantly manned and answered within 5 rings. Not only does our service ensure that problems are dealt with efficiently and effectively for tenants, but to minimise potential damages and costs for our landlords. In each locality we have a network of contractors who we trust, have longstanding working relations and who we agree competitive rates with. We vet our contractors regularly and ensure that they not only remain reliable and competitive, but that they hold the relevant qualifications to carry out work on rental properties. Our staff are trained to distinguish between an emergency call out and something that could be dealt with more effectively during normal hours, as to minimise disruption for the tenant and costs for the landlord.
Our objective when we manage your property is to reduce to a minimum the time and effort you have to put in, while at the same time keeping you fully informed of all matters of importance. You can be confident that your property is well looked after, and we take care any issue or question which may arise.
It is easy to under-estimate the amount of work involved in supervising a tenancy. The duties are able to routinely perform for our management clients include:
• Liaising with your letting agent to ensure smooth check in and check out with a reputable inventory clerk.
• Obtaining all relevant contact details for the tenant(s).
• Producing periodic statements and collection of rent.
• Settlement of regular outgoings such as Ground Rent, Service Charges and Maintenance Charges.
• Ensuring the Landlord is complying with all regulations and legislation for their protection.
• Arrange the transfer of utilities and council tax and arrange settlement of final accounts.
• Arrange an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and annual Gas Safety Certificate.
• Carry out periodic inspections of the property and report on its general condition.
• Arrange any cleaning and garden maintenance necessary to put the property in order before or after the Tenancy.
• Arrange all repairs and maintenance to the property.
• Key holding service.
• Arrange to re-negotiate a further rental period, renewal or termination of Tenancy.
• Manage the check-out and deposit negotiation process.
• Generally acting as an intermediary for the Landlord and Tenant to ensure that the tenancy runs smoothly.
There are many regulations and pieces of legislation which landlords are required to adhere to. It is important that as a Landlord you take these responsibilities seriously as there are large fines and even imprisonment should you fail to comply. Our property management team attends regular training to ensure they are up to date with the ever changing legal environment and ensure that their clients are looked after and protected. A few basic examples of vital compliance are outlined here:
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
There is a requirement by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), for a property before a tenant moves in. They are valid for 10 years and only encounter a one off charge and are readily available from various providers. We are able to arrange for an EPC to be ordered on your behalf at a competitive price.
The Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998
These regulations came into force on 31st October, 1998. These regulations require that any person letting a property must ensure that all gas appliances and flues in the property are maintained in a safe condition so as to prevent risk of injury to any person by ensuring that all such appliances, and flues are checked annually by an approved (CORGI) engineer. The legislation also requires that a record of the annual check is given to the tenant before occupation takes place, or in the case where a tenant is already in residence within twenty eight days of that check being carried out. A copy of that record must also be held by the Landlord (or his agent) for at least two years and made available for checking upon request.
The Electrical Equipment (Safety) regulations 1994
Although there is no mandatory requirement for electrical equipment to be checked at a property or any requirements as to how often they should be checked, Brian Lack strongly recommend you have all electric and electrical equipment checked before the commencement of the Tenancy and regularly thereafter, especially if you know there could be a fault. However, from 1st January 2005 new rules came into force controlling who could carry out certain works on certain electrical installations in property and the procedures around those works. As your managing agent we would ensure that your property complies with all the relevant regulations and can arrange on your behalf, an Electrical Safety Test should you wish us to.
The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993:
The Landlord must ensure all the furniture provided complies with the Cigarette test, the Match test and the Ignitability test and has a permanent label. These regulations came into force on 1st March 1993 for any new lettings and 31st December 1996 at the end of the transitional period. The regulations set new levels of fire resistance for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings and other upholstered products and act as secondary legislation under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
Residential Block Management
BL&CO are delighted to have teamed up with Premier Management Partners to offer a new level of service in residential block management.
Highlights of our service include:
• All calls answered in person
• Within 5 rings
• 24 hours a day
• 365 days a year
• By our own staff in our own office with all your details at their fingertips.
• No answering machines, no push number options
• We are so confident of our ability to deliver that we will enter into a Service Level Agreement guaranteeing the service.
If your managing agents are not offering you the levels of service that you expect and deserve then call us and get the best of both worlds BL&CO & PREMIER MANAGEMENT PARTNERS